Halfway through week two of our ‘Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga’ session our second law, the Law of Giving & Receiving, took on a whole new meaning. In the wake of a very divisive presidential election, many of us came into the yoga studio feeling shocked, saddened, scared, frustrated, betrayed and confused. At times like this it is so important to draw upon our yoga and meditation practice for inner peace and clarity.
The Law of Giving & Receiving reminds us that we are all part of the same life force energy, that we all breathe the same air, that we are all interconnected. We must remember this at all times, not just when it is easy or convenient. We must not stop the circulation of love, kindness, acceptance and compassion.
With that in mind, I wanted to let you all know that one of my long-time Yoga Room students, Sandy Momper, an associate professor of Social Work at U of M, is headed to Standing Rock this Wednesday to join the peaceful protest against the Dakota Access Pipeline that is slated to traverse through sacred Sioux land. I asked her if there was anything I or other Yoga Room students could do to help. She sent me a list of needed supplies (below), but said probably the best way to contribute would be through monetary donations, and she would be happy to take any checks made out to Sacred Stone Camp with her. Please remember that part of the reason people are protesting this Pipeline is because it will have a negative impact on the Sioux’s water supply. The election of Trump, who just tapped a climate-change skeptic to oversee the EPA transition, should have us in the Great Lakes state concerned about our beloved lakes and our water supply as well. It is time to take action! If you are so called, please give to this good cause–by either bringing in a check to the yoga studio that I can give to Sandy, or contributing on your own–and keep circulating the love!
NEEDED SUPPLIES (For more info, check our FAQ)
Supplies, cash, or check donations can be sent to:
Sacred Stone Camp P.O. Box 1011, Fort Yates, ND 58538
202 Main Street Fort Yates, ND 58538 We also have an Amazon Wish List.
>>At this time we have a surplus of clothes and are only seeking very warm, good condition coats, sweaters, and other winter wear.
>>>Please be aware that we only have limited solar and wind power at the camps.
* FIREWOOD (PREFERABLY OAK, MAPLE, ASH)
* TIPIS/TIPI POLES/TIPI LINERS FOR WINTER
* PICK-UP TRUCK W/ 4 WHEEL DRIVE
* TRAILERS/CAMPERS (FOR WINTER SHELTERS)
* SNOW TIRES – VARIOUS SIZES
* GIFT CARDS FOR LOWES OR MENARDS (THERE IS NO HOME DEPOT NEARBY)
* WALL TENTS WITH WOODSTOVES AND POLES
* SLEEPING BAGS FOR SUBZERO TEMPERATURES (INC. MILITARY STYLE)
FULL SUPPLY LIST
* BANNERS, SHEETS (WE LOVE IT WHEN YOU MAKE BANNERS AND SEND THEM TO US!)
* BATTERY PACKS FOR CHARGING PHONES
* CANVAS – HEAVY DUTY ONLY PLEASE
* CAR PORTS
* CARTS AND WHEELBARROWS FOR HAULING WOOD
* CIGARETTES-MARLBORO REDS AND CAMELS
* COME ALONGS
* FIREWOOD (PREFERABLY OAK, MAPLE, ASH) <<< THIS IS ONE OF OUR BIGGEST WINTER NEEDS
* FIRE EXTINGUISHERS
* FUR BLANKETS
* TESORO GAS CARDS
* GAS GENERATORS
* GIFT CARDS – LOWES/MENARDS, AMAZON, VERIZON
* INSULATED CARHARTT TYPE COVERALLS, OVERALLS, COATS
* MATERIAL FOR TOBACCO TIES (ALL COLORS)
* PAINT (INC. SPRAY PAINT)
* PICK UP TRUCK
* POWER INVERTER
* PROPANE HEATERS (SMALL)
* ROPES, TIE DOWNS
* SHIPPING CONTAINER 20 FT
* SLEEPING BAGS (FOR 0 DEGREES F AND LOWER – PLEASE NO WARM WEATHER BAGS AT THIS TIME)
* SNOW TIRES (INQUIRE FOR SIZES)
* SOLAR CHARGERS FOR ELECTRONIC DEVICES
* SOLAR PANELS, INVERTER
* STORAGE BINS – HEAVY DUTY – ALL SIZES
* TARPS – HEAVY DUTY ONLY
* TIRE CHAINS
* TENTS (THAT CAN STAND UP TO HIGH WINDS, SNOW, SUBZERO TEMPS)
* THERMAL BED ROLLS
* TIPIS AND TIPI POLES
* TIPI LINERS FOR WINTER
* TOW STRAPS
* WALKIE TALKIES WITH LONG RANGE, CB RADIOS
* WATER BUFFALO (TANK)
* WATER TANK WITH HEATER
* WINTER COATS (FOR VERY COLD TEMPS, GOOD CONDITION ONLY PLEASE)
* WINTER SALT FOR ROADS
* WOOD STOVES (MOSTLY SMALL ONES FOR TIPIS)
* YOUNG WARRIORS!!