Do you sit at a desk or work on a computer all day? Are you looking down at your phone right now to read this? Are you neck, shoulders, or back killing you? Are you feeling and seeing the effects of aging in your body, ie. hunched shoulders or osteoporosis? Our posture affects everything: our lung capacity; hormone production; spine, jaw + headache pain; mood; blood pressure; energy level; nervous system function; even our digestive system. Try out these 6 easy steps–in your yoga practice or any time–and see if they help you improve your posture.
1) Align feet more or less parallel, knees tracking in the same direction as the toes
2) Tone legs and gently lift knee caps
3) Lengthen tailbone down
4) Side ribs long, abs toned and lifted/zipped
5) Lift heart, pull shoulder blades toward one another
6) Head floats up from back of ears, throat soft
For more helpful posture tips, enroll in my upcoming ‘7 Weeks to Better Posture’ Live+Virtual course where you will stretch what’s tight, strengthen what’s weak, re-align your spine and see tangible improvements in your posture–in just 7 weeks. Sign up soon; we begin September 11!